Thursday, February 28, 2008

Boggledy bits

Thursday, 28 February

Thanks to Miss Chris for the link to a great article in Harper's about Google's use of electricity:
You might think your next search for a knitting pattern or cookie recipe or directions on how to glue a tubular is free, but it comes at a price if you watch the bottom line on your taxes and electric bill or if you're concerned about the impact of exponentially increasing use of energy. Enough energy to run Tacoma goes into one server farm in Hood River. And Microsoft and Yahoo will be moving in soon as gluttonous neighbors, thanks to our cheap electricity rates here in the Pacific Northwest. A good thing that might come of this? I don't know if the "farmers" employed there are like the "techies" in Redmond, but maybe this will mean a bigger customer base for Dave's bike shop?

And, on the subject of things that boggle the mind if you think too much about them, local stud Kristi Berg is training for her annual assault on the Columbia Tower. Here's the snippet from the latest CycleU newsletter:

Big Climb for a Cure: Coach Kristi is Back with a Vengeance!
Please help in my efforts to raise as much money as I can for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. On March 16th I am going to participate in the 2008 Big Climb for a Cure. I will run 69 floors, 1311 stairs, up the Columbia Tower in Seattle. I have done this now for several years, and last year I became ill and was not able to participate so I am back with a vengeance this year to better my fastest time and raise more money then ever before. Please help by donating here. Your donations will go to help find a cure for Leukemia and Lynphoma. I will send out an update after the event to let you all know how I did! Thank you so much for your support.
Kristi BergUSAC Cycling Coach & ACE Personal Trainer

Let's all step up (oh, that's an awful pun--sorry!) and help Kristi and her great cause. You think your training regimen is tough? She's figured out she can go faster if she only hits every other step. Kristi is super tough, but her legs aren't what you'd call super long, so her plan is to PULL herself up 1311 stairs. You go girl!!

No comments: