Thursday, June 22, 2006

Baker City

Thursday, 22 June

I love Baker City. It's a big enough small town that you can't see from one end to the other. But it's a small enough big town that you can't get lost. The town sits in a valley between two mountain ranges, so the scenery is amazing. And you're a very long way from anywhere.

We rode out to the new Elkhorn time trial course this afternoon. It looks like the first mile of the course is downhill!! Carl was a little scared at the prospect of so many people going 50 mph at 30-second intervals. I'll use every cog on my cassette, but I think the 11 and 12 are going to be the favorites. It should be painful but magical: downhill out, tailwind back. Of course, the way you just "ride" a course is a lot different from how you race on it, so I'll probably fail to see anything magical about it on Saturday morning.

The forecast calls for sunshine all the way through Sunday, and I'm looking forward to the fifth year (my fourth--I had to skip it last year) of the Elkhorn Classic.

No comments: