Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pounds

Tuesday, 24 April

Is it spam if it makes me laugh? This showed up in my email at work this morning:

Hi, I hate to be the one to mention this, but people at work are talking about your weight issue and it just disgusts me. Whether you know it by now, people are always chattering about each other at work but you come up more than enough. I feel the right thing to do is to let you know now before this gets worse....

There are a couple of funny things about this. While I've got about 3 pounds I'd like to lose but just can't seem to shake, I have enough self-confidence (too much of that, probably) and am positive enough about my body image to not worry that my "weight issue" is disgusting anyone. And just this morning I decided I'd try the "starve a cold" approach and see if that helps me conquer this head cold I picked up somewhere.

Most of the spam I get is about enhancing a body part I wasn't born with, but this one is almost as far off-target! How come there's never junk email about "tired of cycling jerseys that never fit?" or "wish your leg/arm warmers would stay up?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh the irony... the body type that's most suited to your sport of choice does not provide proper fitting clothes by which to enjoy it... If they ever made a 4XL I could share your pain

Argentius said...

My Portland State friends were going to get some baselayers and casual clothes for pretty cheap from a company just breaking into the cycling market.

I looked to see if I wanted to hop in and get some, but their mens' sizing was M-L-XL-2XL-3XL.

I guess there was no point for them to make stuff for folks with a chest under 38 inches...

And, sheesh, martha, you would climb better if you weighed like 75 pounds. Get on it!

UltraMick said...

My tandem partners would stop complaining so much too if I weighed 75 pounds! :) But--in the line of work--I must now go test the "chocolate fountain" that campus catering is demonstrating for my department.