Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Foolish bloggery

April Fools Day

No, no jokes here. Not much exciting content either. But there's sunshine outside my window!

March sure did go out like a lion this year. Well, maybe more like a raging snow leopard. I can't remember ever seeing 4 days of snow at the end of March in Seattle. Work on Thursday was distracted because of it, Saturday's race was cancelled because of it, Sunday's ride route was altered because of it. Yesterday it was just plain torrential rain on my ride, so my nice toasty winter commuting jacket was still soggy when I left this morning. I had to scramble to find something else to keep me warm in the 32-degree fog.

Racing has been, well, weird. I have almost nothing but rants about Independence Valley so I've been keeping those to myself. It's a great course, the race is well promoted, and the weather was beautiful, but some other issues.....well, grrrr is about all I can say. Coming up next is what passes for vacation in my household: a four-day stage race. And the indulgent kind, too, with just one stage per day. Sounds like O.A.D. is planning some extracurricular miles to make sure we come home tired and overtrained. I'm planning visits to a couple of yarn shops I don't see very often. Also in sight on the April calendar is a tandem stage race, which is just a bucket of painful fun and a chance to check out the final road stage for Mt. Hood, which is under about 20 feet of snow right now.

Hats have been the small variety. Seems the Garage guys are on a roll (oh, really bad pun there, sorry), getting their wives pregnant in the off season. One of my teammates too. I'll bet you didn't know that the color choices in baby yarn are pretty dull. If you don't know a baby's sex, well, there's yellow and lavendar and icky mint green. If you choose something besides baby yarn, it's probably not as soft. I picked up some shocking neon pink yarn in Dublin last November, so I think I'll break that out for the next baby girl. I did have a request for one that was neon green, and that was fun.

The backyard farm is slow on the upswing this year, but the rhubarb is well along, the raspberries are starting to leaf out, and the blueberries are showing signs of life. The parsley that flattened itself against the ground for warmth all winter is perking up. The peas I planted on St. Patrick's Day, though, haven't done much in all this sub-40 weather we've had.

Oh, Argentius, you ask about my musical compositions and my day job. If I told you the latter, you'd never send me an email message again, and my recording career ended back in my college days, which were eons ago. Bike racing pushed my music performance out of my schedule, and crashing on my face a couple of years ago didn't do much to help it either.

Okay, the sun is shining. It must be time to go....to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go on! Rant away!

My 19mo wears my Stoked Hat around the house...and sadly it fits. The kids got a huge head!

Anonymous said...

Go on! Rant away!

My 19mo wears my Stoked Hat around the house...and sadly it fits. The kids got a huge head!